Two of my favorite things coming together: Beer + Art. (Specifically Kalamazoo Art Hop)
Art Hops is a new brew that celebrates Kalamazoo’s arts community and the vibrancy of its craft brewing culture.
Be inspired by the concept of Art Hops beer and the creative spirit of Kalamazoo Art Hop!
- Design may be created in any two- or three-dimensional visual art medium.
- Artwork must be submitted in a final size of 10” x 10”, high resolution digital jpeg format, minimum.
- Design should be effective in both color and black & white, and must be conducive to small and large format print, from 2.5” circle tap stickers and coasters, to restaurant table tents, posters and more.
This contest is fairly new and here was the featured winner from the 2016 contest by Kathy Tyler!
First Hand Research…aka Beer Tasting!
I went downtown to try Arcadia’s Art Hops Brew to experience the flavors and unique qualities of the craft beer. It lived up to its descriptions. It was light, smooth, and packed full of fruit and citrus flavors with a bready malt finish.
Sketching / Mind Mapping
I then got to work extract elements I wanted to communicate visually about the brew flavors. Texture and color would be my two strongest assets that I would use to communicate.
I wanted my concept to capture the heritage of Kalamazoo with a vintage style similar to patents and old paper. It must have a historic, fun feel that highlights the flavors in saturated washes of color.
This is the hop sketch I pulled from my deteriorating sketch book to feature in my design.
- I pulled the drawing into Photoshop and created solid lines.
- Then I brought it over into Adobe Illustrator and vectorized my own illustration.
- I had to go in and reshape and clean up any rough edges using my Wacom Tablet.
- Then I brought my vectorized version back into Photoshop.
- Added my vintage post card texture background.
- Created a layer of color washes using Photoshop Water Color Brush feature.
- Modified the font and incorporated my unique signature “A” into the “Art Hops Beer”.
To tie my concept to reflect Kalamazoo’s unique heritage for craft beer I incorporated the mitten into a hops petal. On the mitten is a little red heart right in the center of Kalamazoo. The heart and soul of craft brewing in Michigan (in my opinion..I’m biased).
Regardless if it is picked for the 2017 contest, I’m happy with how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you all think!